Sunday, September 9, 2012

Every Rose has it's Thorns

Nothing exciting here; no waxing philosophical today, just an update of whats been going on the past couple of weeks. We've had to make a few sacrifices as of late to accommodate the changes our life has brought us. Leaving our house in Chico that we have worked so hard on to make our home and has become our refuge was hard, is still hard. I'm still not happy about feeling dragged out of it unwillingly, but it's for reasons I know we need to let happen for the time being. As hard as change is for me to take usually, this was a big step to force myself over. My mind can't process and accept alot at once right now. I feel like an autistic child must; easily overwhelmed by noise and multiple stimuli. I don't like it and try to shield myself or hide from it when confronted by it. My head just can't handle it. Getting our house in 'showing' condition wasn't easy, but it gave us the chance to finish all the details and finishing touches on the renovations we did in the beginning when we bought the house that we hadn't gotten to, so really our house looks better at the moment than it ever has. I'm glad for that, but not for the loss of the comfort of 'home' that our new house lacks. We had tons of help between getting the Chico house packed and cleaned, moving into our new rental house, and getting settled by touching up the details and landscaping at the new place to make it feel more like home. My father and step-mother, Kathy, stayed for a week to help get things settled for us. We're settled in, but Chico is still our home. Circumstances could have necessitated that we moved much farther away, which would have still been hard, but it would have seemed more preferable than having had made the move to somewhere so close but giving up so much.

I finished the final treatment of radiation last Thursday, August 30th, and now start the 5 week pause to allow my body to heal itself before I abuse it with any further treatment options. I have an MRI scheduled on Oct 5th, to map the primary tumor area, to see if surgery will be an option or if it has intruded in areas that would make it inoperable. I then have follow-up appointments with both a local surgeon and with the surgery department at (UCSF) U. of California San Francisco teaching hospital. Alysha surprised me last night with a party at the house to which she had invited many of our friends from our church group in Chico and other friends and family. It was a welcome surprise and uplifting event to make me feel supported and loved. Thank you to all who attended and who wrote encouraging letters about their encounters with me over my life. I can't thank you all enough for all the support and encouragement now and always and hope to keep you all informed as things continue to develop over time. We love you all for helping us through this all in your own ways. We are eternally grateful.

~Pete  

No comments:

Post a Comment