Sunday, January 29, 2012

Loving Our Future

We have been without cable for a very long time. It's been years since we have enjoyed the luxury of channel surfing just for the sake of it or vegging out to some random reality t.v. program. Though, I must say, it has definitely been missed.

We recently decided that the absence of television in our home was keeping us "out of the loop". This thought came about after we mistakenly thought we had missed the elections in November of last year. Only to realize we were a year early. Okay, maybe we are a lost cause?!?!? However, we have re-introduced television (basic channels only) in an effort to get back in the game and stay updated on current events.

This morning I was taking advantage of the wealth of information t.v. supplies, by watching political programming. The topic of discussion was the recent clashes between Romney and Gingrich. The few clips they showed left me in shock. Is this really the picture of our nation? Two men who throw jabs at each other every time an opportunity arises. Whatever happened to common decency? Or love for your neighbor?

Don't get me wrong, I totally get that this is what happens in the political arena. People are fierce. But, it also turned me off completely to the presidential race. How am I supposed to learn anything about these two potential candidates except the fact that I don't want either of them in office? One commentator suggested that these fiery exchanges are only the tip of the iceberg for this race, and that these insult-laden discussions are the worst they have seen in decades.

Well, I am taking a stand against this and running a little campaign of my own entitled - Loving Our Future. The recent political debates are not the only impetus for this campaign. Pete and I are givers at heart. We love to give when we see a need and it gives us great joy to see that need met. Most of the time we give financially but at the moment, we are unable to do so due to our recent financial burdens. So, for a while I have been wondering how I can serve the Lord without giving financially. The love campaign is designed to do just that; by giving the gift of love wherever needed.

Love looks different for everyone. For you it might be spending quality time because is so hard to come by in these days of busyness for the sake of being busy. Or maybe, a meal shared with those you love. Or offering to pray for someone in need. These are all ways God's love can be displayed.

My challenge to you is that you would love more. Pray that God would use you to genuinely love others. Pray that God would help you to take the focus off yourself for long enough to focus on someone else. These are my prayers for you and for myself.

Along the way, I will be posting demonstrations of love as the Loving Our Future campaign progresses. We have been so truly blessed by the constant outpouring of love we have received during our time of need and now it is our turn to give back.

Thank you and God bless,

With love,
Alysha

No comments:

Post a Comment