Saturday, January 7, 2012

Learning Curve

The past couple weeks we have been on a steep learning curve. Pete just finished his first session of chemo and is enjoying his one week reprieve from symptoms and pills before the next session. We have spent this time learning all we can about cancer; including natural treatment methods, dietary supplements, and how to best nourish our bodies.
I found it quite comical that as Pete described our new dietary changes to a friend he explained, in all seriousness that we have pretty much take everything out that has calories in it. Seriously, wow! And that was when I realized I was being a bit too stringent with this holistic regimen we have undertaken. So, I let him have a banana smoothie with coconut milk and ice cream. LOL!
But really, now instead of following one method to the T, we are taking bits and pieces of what we learn and putting it all together to create a supplental treatment regimine that's best for our family. Our daughter Izzy is also embracing the changes in our household. This morning she enjoyed her oatmeal with flaxseed and honey. And every morning she is excited to help me make her dada's juice.
And it's not just our immediate family that has been inspired with a push towards healthy living, but our extended family as well. My 13 year old little sister has recently pledged to complete her first 5k run and has just started training. This is just one example of how the recent circumstances have caused us all to take charge of our health.
All this has also encouraged me to reevaluate my role as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, and follower of Jesus. It has taken me a while to realize that in order to fully serve my family and others, I must also be at m best. That means I have to take care of me first. It's fair to say that I've never before realized how vital my role is to maintaining our family dynamic. That's why when I consider working outside the home, despite our current financial burdens, I cannot bring myself to do it. I could not imagine leaving my family during this time of desperate need.
I have also realized, more than ever before, that it is only the love of Christ that can sustain us. There have been times when I have felt so incredibly lonely. As if people have all but disappeared from our lives. I feel as though we are now viewed differently by others, yet all we want is to return to life as it was before all this happened. The other day I was contemplating all this when it hit me that Jesus is the only one who will never leave us nor forsake us. These words began to resonate with me and just when I was feeling down the Lord sent an unlikely relative to encourage me and share her testimony. What a blessing it was to speak with her and hear her testify of her undying faith in God in the midst of life's trials. And she also shook me a bit. She Reminded me that our circumstances could always be worse. We ARE blessed.

God is slowly but surely doing a work in us.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. I. All your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Thank you for your continued prayers, love, and support. With love, Alysha

No comments:

Post a Comment